University of Kentucky Resources
Free Web Resources for Navigating Your Career
· Vitae: The Chronicle of Higher Education’s source for general advice for graduate students and resources on navigating academic jobs
· UK's Preparing Future Faculty course page: Various resources used in the Graduate School's GS 650 course
· The VersatilePhD (UK has an institutional subscription for the Humanities and Social Science portions of the premium content; register and enter here: http://www.research.uky.edu/gs/StudentDevelopment/Versatilephd.html) A robust online resource to help graduate students in all fields identify, prepare for, and succeed in non-academic careers
· A&S Careers Beyond the Professoriate Collections of resources for Alt-Ac careers by the College of Arts & Sciences
· Non-Academic Career Options for PhDs in the Humanities and Social Sciences Descriptions of and resources within various fields in which Humanities and Social Science PhDs may find positions, including consulting, nonprofits, financial services, publishing, government, international development, etc.
· PhDs at Work: Gain insights from PhDs in a wide range of positions -- from Rosemary Feal of the Modern Language Association, to Christopher Thornton of the National Geographic Society, to Aviad Eilam of Rosetta Stone. Also offers various podcasts and virtual events
· Beyond the PhD: (a British website) Offers insights into life after the PhD.
· Beyond the Tenure Track: A collection of resources (and PhD Success Blog) by Fatimah Williams Castro
· PhD Career Guide: A collection of information and resources on various career paths for PhDs
Subscription Services for Navigating Your Career
(Requires a valid UK email address or registration information)
· CareerShift: A resource that provides access to company contacts and detailed information about companies to assist UK students in navigating the "hidden job market".
· Vault: An extensive library of preparatory materials and insider's information on leading companies, including industry-specific profiles and resource guides.
· InterviewStream: A web-based platform for recording practice job interviews. View sample interviews and record and review your own practice interviews. Choose from a catalog of hundreds of interview questions culled from a variety of disciplines and industries.
· 20-Minute Mentoring Commons: UK students can access the site for free. Contact the DGS for instructions.